sports baseball

No. 20 Indiana baseball’s Devin Taylor named Big Ten Player of the Week

spiubasebrief022624.jpeg

After slapping seven hits and mashing a pair of home runs over the weekend against Baylor University, No. 20 Indiana baseball sophomore outfielder Devin Taylor won Big Ten Player of the week honors Monday afternoon. 

Taylor, the 2023 Big Ten Freshman of the Year, came into the season with lofty expectations as Indiana’s most potent hitter. Through seven games, Taylor is batting a team-high .552 with a staggering 1.526 OPS.

After a 3-for-4 night at the plate in Indiana’s win over Miami University of Ohio on Feb. 20, Taylor’s sweltering pace continued in the weekend series at Baylor. Taylor drew four walks in the first two games while notching four hits and a homer. 

Then, on Sunday, Taylor exploded. The Cincinatti, Ohio, native went 3-for-5, mashing two home runs and recording 4 RBIs. Sunday’s outing brought Taylor to three homers and 8 RBIs on the season, both ranking second on the team.

Between the Miami midweek bout and the Baylor series, Taylor batted .667, including a trio of multi-hit games and the fifth multi-home run game of his career. Next, Taylor and the Hoosiers host Purdue University Fort Wayne on Tuesday afternoon before heading to Frisco, Texas, for the Frisco Classic over the weekend. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana baseball season.