student life

UPDATE: Beta Sigma Psi put on cease-and-desist for hazing

caBSPceaseanddesist.jpg

The IU chapter of Beta Sigma Psi was placed on "cease-and-desist" effective Feb. 5 for hazing.

All activities within the chapter are suspended until further notice.  

According to IU's definitions of disciplinary statutes, cease-and-desist is a temporary measure placed upon aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation. All organizational activities halt within the chapter during a cease-and-desist period. Further misconduct could lead to additional consequences, such as suspension or expulsion from the university. 

The IU Office of Student Life updated their website on Tuesday and only listed hazing as the reason for the organization's placement on cease and desist, while on Monday the site had listed sexual harassment, physical abuse and forced use of substances. The Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life declined to give an explanation for the change.

This is the second Greek Life organization placed on cease-and-desist in two weeks after the IU chapter of the Co-Ed Business Fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi was placed with a cease-and-desist order Jan. 30.  

In addition to Alpha Kappa Psi and Beta Sigma Psi, three other fraternities are on cease-and-desist. Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Kappa Alpha Psi were suspended from all activities October 2023 due to hazing. Kappa Sigma was suspended from all activities August 2023 for violations related to alcohol, endangering others and hazing.  

Last semester, 20 Greek Life organizations faced some form of disciplinary action. 15 faced discipline for hazing, 10 for endangering others and nine for alcohol-related offenses.  

There are ten organizations on suspension, six of which are partially suspended due to hazing. 

Update: This article has been updated to reflect that the Office of Student Life has removed allegations of sexual harassment, physical abuse and forced consumption of substances from their list of organizations of disciplinary status.