sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball’s flight to Iowa postponed due to blizzard conditions

spiuwbbtravel011223.jpeg

No. 14 Indiana women’s basketball’s travel to take on No. 3 Iowa on Saturday is on hold until Saturday morning. The Hoosiers were originally scheduled to fly to Iowa City at 5:30 p.m. Friday before moving their flight to 2:30 p.m. Friday — one that was postponed to Saturday, per an IU spokesperson. 

The National Weather Service placed Iowa City under a Winter Storm Warning until 5 p.m. CST Friday before a blizzard warning goes into effect at 5 p.m. CST until 12 p.m. CST Saturday. Snow and windy conditions are expected Friday into Saturday with northwest winds gusting as high as 50 miles per hour by Friday night. 

“We cannot control the weather and what it’s going to do,” Indiana head coach Teri Moren said Friday. “What we will not do is get in any aircraft if it’s unsafe. I can promise you that.” 

The Hoosiers’ contest has long been highly anticipated, taking on Caitlin Clark — 2022-23 National Player of Year — and the Hawkeyes. Clark drilled a 3-pointer at the buzzer to defeat Indiana on March 1, 2023, to split the season series after the Hoosiers defeated the Hawkeyes Feb. 9, 2023, in Bloomington. 

Indiana (14-1, 5-0 Big Ten) looks to win its 14th consecutive game and begin conference play 6-0 when it takes on Iowa (16-1, 5-0 Big Ten) at 8 p.m. Saturday inside Carver Hawkeye Arena. The showdown will be nationally televised on FOX.

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.