campus student life

IU chapter of Delta Upsilon suspended for endangering others, hazing

cadeltaupsilon120523-jpg

The IU chapter of Delta Upsilon was suspended by the Delta Upsilon Board of Directors Nov. 27 for endangering others and hazing, according to the IU Office of Student Life.

The fraternity had been placed on cease and desist twice in the last year, including on March 20 for hazing and Oct. 11 for endangering others and hazing. The fraternity was previously set to be on disciplinary probation by IU from Jan. 1, 2024 through May 5, 2025.

Prior to its suspension, Delta Upsilon faced disciplinary probation five times since 2019.

Delta Upsilon was on disciplinary probation from Nov. 30, 2020 through Dec. 17, 2021 for endangering others, failure to comply with university and county COVID-19 directives and non-compliance with the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life policies. The fraternity was again placed on disciplinary probation from Feb. 24 through May 24, 2022 for failing to comply with the directions of authorized university officials in the performance of their duties and non-compliance with OSFL policies.

According to Delta Upsilon’s by-laws, with a two-third majority, the Board of Directors can vote to suspend any chapter for violations of its policies and procedures. This includes policies on hazing, alcohol, and fire, health and safety. Any member or alumni member of the IU chapter can appeal the suspension at the next Assembly of Trustees, whose decision will be final. The next Assembly of Trustees will be Aug. 2-4, 2024 in Atlanta, Ga., at Delta Upsilon’s annual Leadership Institute.

According to IU’s definitions of disciplinary statutes, a suspended chapter is required to cease and desist all activities and disband. There are currently nine organizations on suspension, including Delta Upsilon, four on cease and desist and three on voluntary resolution agreements.