campus student life

Delta Upsilon placed on cease and desist for endangering others, hazing

cadeltaupsilon101223-jpg

The IU chapter of Delta Upsilon was placed on cease and desist effective Oct. 11 for endangering others and hazing. All activities within the chapter are suspended until further notice.

The fraternity is currently on elevated disciplinary probation until the end of the year for an unrelated violation involving hazing. The fraternity will be on disciplinary probation from Jan. 1, 2024, through May 5, 2025.

According to IU's definitions of disciplinary statutes, a chapter can be subject to disciplinary probation for a designated duration, with the terms and conditions clearly outlined in writing. This probation entails a warning that any breach of the specified conditions or any subsequent instances of misbehavior may lead to further penalties, such as suspension or expulsion from the university.

The IU chapter of Delta Upsilon was on disciplinary probation from Nov. 30, 2020, through Dec. 17, 2021, for endangering others, failure to comply with university and county COVID-19 directives, alcohol and non-compliance with the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life policies. The fraternity was also on disciplinary probation from Feb. 24, 2022, through May 24, 2022.

In March 2023, the fraternity was placed on cease and desist for hazing. From May 5 through Sept. 8, IU suspended Delta Upsilon from all new member recruitment, education, activities and events. The fraternity then had social restrictions from Sept. 8 through Oct. 1. Since Nov. 30, 2020, the fraternity has spent less than 34 weeks out of the academic year with no restrictions due to its violations.

According to IU's definitions of disciplinary statutes, cease and desist is a temporary measure placed upon aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation. During a cease and desist period, all organizational activities come to a halt within the chapter. Further acts of misconduct could lead to additional consequences such as suspension or expulsion from the university.

There are currently three other IU fraternities on cease and desist, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status. Kappa Sigma was placed on cease and desist for alcohol, endangering others and hazing Aug. 15. Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated was placed on cease and desist for hazing Sept. 1. Sigma Alpha Epsilon was placed on cease and desist for hazing Oct. 10.

There are eight organizations on suspension, six on disciplinary status and two on a voluntary resolution agreement. Since 2022, 18 organizations have been on disciplinary status. Despite IU’s strict anti-hazing policy, 11 of the 18 organizations achieved disciplinary status due to hazing, among other breaches.

From Sept. 25 to 29, the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life collaborated with the Student Involvement and Leadership Center to offer the opportunity to organizations to sign a commitment to prevent hazing. The week is recognized as Hazing Prevention Week.