UPDATED: Delta Upsilon Fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing

cadeltaupsilon032323.jpg

The IU chapter of Delta Upsilon was placed on cease and desist on March 20 for hazing, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status. All activities within the chapter will be suspended until further notice.   

An alleged hazing incident at Delta Upsilon was reported to IUPD from The Office of Student Conduct on March 19. The case was forwarded from IU Police Department’s patrol division to IUPD’s investigations unit for follow up. The case is active and ongoing.  

Cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon chapters when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation, according to the IU Division of Student Affairs. For organizations on disciplinary probation, any violation of the conditions or further acts of misconduct will result in additional consequences that may include suspension or expulsion from the university.   

[Related: Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing]

According to the IU Division of Student Affairs, Delta Upsilon faced disciplinary probation from Nov. 30, 2020, through Dec. 17, 2021, due to endangering others, failure to comply with university and county COVID-19 directives, alcohol and non-compliance with The Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life policies. From Feb. 24, 2022, through May 24, 2022, they faced another disciplinary probation due to failure to comply with the directions of authorized university officials in the performance of their duties and non-compliance with OSFL Policies.  

Four IU Greek organizations — Delta Upsilon, Kappa Alpha Psi, Zeta Beta Tau and Theta Chi — are currently on cease and desist. There are nine Greek organizations on suspension, six on other disciplinary statuses and one on interim investigative directives according to IU’s list.  

[Related: Zeta Beta Tau fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing]

Despite IU’s strict anti-hazing policy, of the 19 Greek organizations currently on disciplinary status 13 achieved the status citing hazing, among other things.   

Interfraternity Council President, Conor Kennedy, was not available for immediate comment.  

Luke Price contributed to this story.