arts iu auditorium performances

The road to 50: 'Potpourri' comes to IU Auditorium

entpotpourri111023.jpg

IU Auditorium will welcome three student ensemble groups: the African American Dance Company, the African American Choral Ensemble and IU Soul Revue to perform the annual “Potpourri: An African American Performance Showcase.” The show kicks off at 7:30 p.m. Saturday. 

“The ‘Potpourri’ is unique because it brings together all three groups on the same night instead of separate performances,” Charles Sykes, executive director of the IU African American Arts Institute, said in a press release. “The biggest challenge every year is developing the chemistry among students across the three ensembles and getting the students prepared for the actual performance in just a few months.” 

The theme of this year’s “Potpourri” is “The Road to 50,” as next year’s performance will be the 50th anniversary of the African American Arts Institute. According to their events page, to celebrate, “Potpourri” will look back at the last 49 years as well as ahead to the decades beyond. 

It will be held in conjunction with the Association for Black Culture Centers conference, Nov. 9-12, which is being held at the IU Neal-Marshall Center. Anyone interested can register on the “Potpourri” event page or on the Neal-Marshall webpage. 

Admission to “Potpourri” costs $15 for students and $35 for adults. Ticket prices for groups of ten people or more are 15% off using code “POTPOURRIGROUP23.” Tickets can be purchased on the IU Auditorium website or at the box office.