sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball falls in four sets at Ohio State

spiuvbrecap110423.jpeg

Indiana volleyball finished a four-match road streak Saturday at Ohio State. Entering the match, Indiana sat at 7-6 in conference play compared to Ohio State’s record of 5-8. The Hoosiers were looking for their third straight victory over the Buckeyes dating back to November 2022. 

Coming off a career night, senior outside hitter Morgan Geddes picked up where she left off with three early kills in the opening set. Both sides quickly found their offensive rhythms, creating a close back-and-forth set. The Buckeyes capitalized on a service error from the Hoosiers and took the first set 25-23. 

Geddes ended the first set with three kills on 14 swings, while Ohio State senior outside Emily Londot led the Buckeyes with five kills, hitting .231.  

The Buckeyes carried the momentum over early in the second set off tough attacking from Londot. After trailing early, the Hoosiers tied the set at 10 before going on a three-point run out of a timeout. Off two straight kills from Londot, the Buckeyes tied it back up at 14, leading to an Indiana timeout. After both teams failed to convert on set points, the Hoosiers took the set 29-27. 

Sophomore outside hitter Avry Tatum hit .750 with six kills in the second set. Senior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede had eight kills, while Ohio State sophomore middle blocker Zaria Ragler led all players with 13 kills at a .600 clip. 

The third set began with Indiana struggling defensively and playing out of system, helping the Buckeyes go up 10-5. Ohio State continued to dominate the third set going up 17-10, but Indiana junior setter Camryn Haworth picked up two straight service aces to extend her program record of aces in a season to 61. Indiana fought back off an ace from junior outside hitter Kenzie Dafinee, cutting the Ohio State lead down to two. The Buckeyes fended off the Indiana comeback, taking the third set 25-23 and the 2-1 set lead. 

Ragler led all attackers with 19 kills while Kjolhede had 11 kills through the first three sets for the Hoosiers. The Buckeyes had 52 kills compared to Indiana’s 37 after three sets. 

Similar to the opening set, the beginning of the fourth was back-and-forth before being knotted up at nine. In the middle of the fourth, Ohio State pulled away slightly, leading 14-12 and prompting an Indiana timeout. Londot and the Buckeyes continued to lead, finding an answer for an Indiana run leading late in the set 21-17. Ohio State took the set 25-23 and won the match in four sets. 

Sophomore Candela Alonso-Corcelles led Indiana with 14 kills, followed by Kjolhede with 11. Ragler had 25 kills and Londot added 13 for the Buckeyes. 

After going 3-1 in fourth straight road matches, Indiana will head home to face Rutgers at 7 p.m. Nov. 10.

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (@mblivingston_) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.