city bloomington

Mayor John Hamilton vetoes 7-line stop sign reinstallation

ca7line101523.jpg

Bloomington Mayor John Hamilton vetoed a city council ordinance to reinstall stop signs on the 7-line intersection of Seventh and Dunn Street. 

The 7-line is a project that was completed to enhance and expand the bike lanes in Bloomington to ensure safer travel for anyone on the road. 

The legislation originally passed in city council earlier this month 5-4. The four council members to vote no were Isabel Piedmont-Smith, Matt Flaherty, Stephen Volan and Kate Rosenbarger. 

When the legislation was initially discussed at the council’s Oct. 4 meeting, Councilmember Volan said there wasn’t sufficient evidence that warranted reinstalling the stop signs at the intersection. 

Hamilton expressed his concerns with the legislation in a memo to the city council Friday. 

“The public is becoming familiar with the new traffic patterns along Seventh Street, including the replacement of the Dunn Street signs six months ago. Frequent changes along one corridor can cause greater concerns,” Hamilton wrote in the memo. “The Council vote to revert three intersections to the pre-2021 condition, with the possibility of it being changed again in a few months, can cause more confusion and directly presents public safety concerns.” 

The council needs a two-thirds majority to override the veto, which could be voted on as early as Wednesday.