campus student life

Easy ways to add more of you into your dorm room

cadormdecorhousingandliving.jpg

Decorating your dorm room does not need to be expensive or difficult, so don’t leave your room blank.

Lights

Twinkle lights are the best way to decorate your dorm room. Some people do not love the bright overhead lights in the dorm rooms, so you can instead turn on the soft glow of twinkle lights. One of the best parts of them is that you can get all kinds of different colors. My freshman year my roommate and I had orange twinkle lights, but a lot of people had the normal golden color or even fun rainbow colors in their rooms. You can buy them at Target or Walmart for $10-$20 depending on how long they are.

Tapestries

One way to cover a big chunk of your empty wall space is to hang a tapestry. Tapestries can also show people a little bit of your personality. Tapestries are also a budget-friendly décor option. Whenever I shop for tapestries, most of them are $25 or less. Online websites like Redbubble or Etsy are great places to get cute, cheap tapestries.

Posters

Another way to cover a lot of open space on your walls can be hanging posters. Just like tapestries, these can be a way to show people who come into your room a little bit of your personality. Get a poster of your favorite musical artist, movie or television show. Target, Walmart and other stores in College Mall have some options for posters that people could look through.

Plants

If you are someone who can keep plants alive for more than a week, you should think about getting some for your dorm room. If you cannot or just do not want to deal with the extra work, you can also get some cute fake plants for cheap for the same effect. I cannot keep a plant alive for more than a few days, so I always opt for fake plants.

Photos

Hanging up photos of you and your friends or family is a fantastic way to decorate your dorm room. You can hang up photo frames or have a Polaroid wall with people who have been in your room. There are also small Bluetooth printers on Amazon that you can connect to your phone so you can print off photos from your camera roll.