sports men's soccer

Indiana men’s soccer beats University of Evansville, gets first winning streak of the season

spiumsrecap101123.jpeg

Despite an hour and a half delay in the second half, Indiana men’s soccer held on to the lead and won 2-0 over the University of Evansville on Wednesday night. 

After a slow start for both teams, the Hoosiers broke through just six minutes into the contest on the first shot of the game. After leaving the defender behind on the right, junior forward Sam Sarver crossed the ball low for junior midfielder Patrick McDonald to put Indiana ahead 1-0. 

“I’ve been waiting for it all year,” McDonald said after the game. “To finally put one in the back of the net feels good.” 

Just two minutes later, Sarver crossed another ball from the right and, after some confusion inside the box, senior forward Karsen Henderlong fired it just wide to the left. 

With 28 minutes remaining in the first half, Indiana had multiple back-to-back chances. Sarver’s shot from outside the box was deflected wide while junior forward Tommy Mihalic’s shot with his weak foot went wide to the left. 

Sarver and Henderlong combined for another play five minutes later. The right winger crossed a ball looking for Henderlong’s header, but Evansville senior goalkeeper Aidan Montoure tipped it just out of Henderlong’s reach. 

Sarver had another chance off the right side with 22 minutes to go in the opening half. He infiltrated the box with speed and fired one, but Montoure swallowed it effortlessly. 

With 18 minutes left in the half, Indiana doubled the lead. The play started with senior defender Jansen Miller carrying the ball to the final third and passing it to Sarver on the right. The winger crossed it and, after a partial clear by the defense, McDonald tried a half-volley but whiffed it. The ball ended up at the foot of freshman forward Collins Oduro, who centered it to Henderlong inside the 6-yard box for an easy tap-in. 

Indiana had several goal-scoring chances within the final 10 minutes of the half. Sarver fired one over the crossbar after a low cross from freshman forward Clay Murador with seven minutes left. 

Just a few minutes after, senior forward Maouloune Goumballe missed a one-on-one with Montoure after intercepting a pass near the box with five minutes to go. Murador later fired a shot from the left but hit the outside of the net with three minutes left in the first half. 

“Early goals put less pressure in the second period,” head coach Todd Yeagley said. “Should’ve had at least one more tonight but two is plenty.” 

Indiana generated many chances in the first half and played safe in the back, preventing Evansville from creating any dangerous chances. 

Back for the second half, the Purple Aces had a couple of chances in the first ten minutes. Senior forward Kai Phillip’s shot went over the bar five minutes into the half. Just eight minutes into the half he attempted a bicycle kick inside the box, but the ball went wide left. 

With 30 minutes to go, the game was delayed due to lightning and heavy rain. After an hour and a half stoppage, play resumed.  

Neither team created a lot after the delay until the last ten minutes, when Goumballe missed a couple of chances to improve Indiana’s lead while senior defender Hugo Bacharach headed one over the bar. 

The Hoosiers totaled seven shots on goal in 14 attempts and held the Purple Aces to only five shots – none on goal. 

Indiana has achieved back-to-back wins for the first time this season and looks to keep the streak going against Ohio State on Sunday. 

“With a good road win against a nice Penn State team there’s definitely a boost” Yeagley said. “[The team] knew how important that game was.” 

Kickoff is scheduled for noon on Oct. 15 at Bill Armstrong Stadium against the Buckeyes with the match being televised on Big Ten+.