arts food

COLUMN: 3 underrated ice cream spots in Bloomington

entbesticecream100823.jpg

While we all love Jiffy Treet, sometimes you just don’t want to wait in a long line for an ice cream cone. Bloomington has numerous ice cream spots, though there are a handful that are underrated.  

The Peach Cobbler Factory  

While this spot is known for their cobbler, The Peach Cobbler Factory allows you to add vanilla ice cream to top off your dessert of choice. Their cobbler selection offers flavors that you do not see at your typical dessert shop, such as sweet potato pecan, apple walnut raisin and cinnamon praline peach. They even offer a variety of Brownies, Churro Stix, Big Cobbler Cookies, Belgian waffles, and puddings that you can add a side of ice cream to. Their dessert shop offers both pickup and delivery orders. While their prices are not the cheapest, they give a generous serving size to make up for it. This is a great option if you love to make desserts à la mode.  

Bub’s Burgers and Ice Cream  

This is a great option for those who love to eat French fries with their ice cream. Since this spot is both a restaurant and an ice cream shop, I usually order a side of fries first and then order a scoop of ice cream in a cone. This is also a good spot if you're in the mood for some simple ice cream. They offer your average selection of flavors and I usually order their mint chip in a cone.  

Their ice cream shop also knows how to make a delicious milkshake. They make hand-dipped milkshakes with the flavor of your choice, including their most common flavors of chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream and strawberry. They offer special flavors too, including peanut butter Moose Tracks and crunchy caramel pretzel. I especially love how useful their front counter is, where you can either order food or a milkshake. Ordering at their counter is helpful for when you want your food quick and don’t want to sit down to eat.  

Brilliant Coffee Company 

This local coffee spot is the perfect place to grab a sweet treat. While coffee is more of their specialty, Brilliant Coffee also serves gelato and sorbetto. They tend to switch out new gelato flavors every so often, but my favorite flavors are salted caramel and mint chocolate. They even have gluten free, vegan and dairy free options. Sometimes my friends and I walk to Brilliant Coffee and sit by the window while we enjoy a serving of their gelato. Whenever I'm not in the mood for a coffee but need a good place to study, I like to enjoy a small cup of their gelato.