politics

Former Attorney General Curtis Hill announces run for Indiana governor

cacurtishill071123.jpg

Curtis Hill, who served as the former Indiana Attorney General from 2017 to 2021, announced Monday he is running for Indiana Governor. Hill joins a crowded race for the Republican nomination, vying for the open seat left by exiting Gov. Eric Holcomb, who cannot seek reelection due to term limits.

In a press release announcing his run, Hill — who also previously served as Elkhart County Prosecutor — said as Governor, he wanted to bring back standards of transparency and leadership to the Indiana government.

“Hoosiers are hungry for a proven conservative leader with the courage to stand up for the traditional values upon which our Republic was built,” Hill said in the release. “Our campaign will emphasize a positive vision for Indiana, restoring faith in our institutions, protecting our children, investing in our law enforcement, prioritizing the rebuilding of our economy and placing the needs of Hoosiers above the manipulation of Washington, D.C.”

[Related: Gubernatiorial candidate Jennifer McCormick announces campaign, visits Bloomington]

Hill’s announcement comes three years after his law license was suspended in 2020 due to allegations that he groped four women, including a state lawmaker, during a party in 2018. While he denied the allegations, the Indiana Supreme Court suspended his law license for 30 days after finding substantial evidence Hill committed the acts of misdemeanor battery. The former Attorney General remained in office until 2021, losing reelection to current Indiana Attorney General Todd Rokita.

Hill also lost a Congressional bid last year to replace U.S. Rep. Jackie Walorski, who died in a car crash during her term.

Hill joins a field of Republican candidates running for the Governor seat, including Indiana Sen. Mike Braun, Lt. Gov. Suzanna Crouch and former Indiana Economic Development Corporation president Eric Doden.

[Related: Indiana Sen. Mike Braun to run for governor in 2024]