administration student life

IU Board of Trustees approves tuition, mandatory fees increase

catuitionincrease061223.jpg

The IU Board of Trustees approved a 3% tuition and mandatory fees increase over the next two years following a public hearing at IUPUI last week. Tuition at IU Bloomington, IUPUI and regional campuses will increase beginning during the 2023-24 academic year.  

According to an IU press release, during the 2023-24 academic year, in-state tuition at IU Bloomington will increase by $343, while tuition at IUPUI will increase by $304. Additionally, IU regional campuses will see a $238 in-state tuition increase next year.  

Out-of-state tuition will also increase over the next two years. According to IU’s 2023-25 operating budget, out-of-state tuition at IU Bloomington will increase by around $1,318. Out-of-state tuition will increase by $1,099 at IUPUI and IU regional campuses.

[Related: Indiana Gov. Holcomb appoints two new members to IU Board of Trustees]

The IU Board of Trustees also approved a new fee structure that reduces the reduces the number of academic fees. IU estimates this reduction will save the student body $14.5 million a year starting fiscal year 2024, according to the press release.  

The 3% increase is lower than the average state-wide tuition and fees increase among public, four-year institutions in Indiana, according to a Indiana Commission for Higher Education report. Over the past five years, Indiana’s public four-year institutions have increased tuition by 7.5%.