sports motor sports

Conor Daly, Ed Carpenter Racing part ways midway through IndyCar Season

spindycarbrief061023.jpg

IndyCar fan-favorite Conor Daly and Ed Carpenter Racing mutually agreed to end their relationship Wednesday, effective immediately, per release.

It was announced Thursday that 2012 IndyCar Series champion, 2014 Indianapolis 500 winner and former Andretti Autosport driver Ryan Hunter-Reay, would be taking over for Daly during the remainder of the season.

Daly began his tenure with Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, running road and street course races for the team. 2022 marked Daly’s first full-time season with the team as he finished 17th in the point standings.

Although the Noblesville, Indiana, native has been an IndyCar fan-favorite, Daly has struggled to produce encouraging results outside of a sixth-place finish in last year’s Indy 500.

Daly, the son of former Formula One and IndyCar driver Derek Daly and the stepson of Indianapolis Motor Speedway President J. Douglas Boles, released a statement Wednesday thanking those who have supported him.

Before joining Ed Carpenter Racing in 2020, Daly raced for prior IndyCar Series teams including Arrow Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports, Harding Racing and Carlin. Daly has also raced for active IndyCar teams A.J. Foyt Enterprises and Dale Coyne Racing.

With his 2023 season abruptly coming to an end, Daly is now in search of a ride for the 2024 IndyCar season.