student life

IU 2023 Spring Commencement: What you need to know

caspinggraduation050223.jpg

After years of hard work — hours studying in the library, stressing about finals and writing papers — it is time to come together to reflect on and recognize students’ experiences and accomplishments. The IU 2023 Spring Graduate Commencement Ceremony is at 4 p.m. on Friday, May 5, at Simon Skojdt Assembly Hall and the Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony will be held at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 6, at the Memorial Stadium.  

Undergraduate Ceremony 

The ceremony will consist of the procession, a commencement speaker, a student address, a graduate induction into the IU Alumni Association and the distribution of degrees. President Pamela Whitten and Provost Rahul Shrivastav will speak as well. The ceremony will begin at 10 a.m. and end around 11:30 a.m. 

Graduates should meet at 7:30 a.m. at the John Mellencamp Pavilion to start lining up. They are recommended to arrive early because traffic will be heavy. Starting at 8 a.m., guests can begin to enter the stadium and find their seats; seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis., and saving seats is not permitted. Graduate seating will be located on the main field and is organized by school. Students will not be individually recognized by name due to the large number of graduates. 

Graduates are not allowed to bring umbrellas, bags or any personal belongings. In case of rain, ponchos will be provided. Graduates are recommended to wear business or business-casual attire. Students are expected to stay during the entire ceremony. Each student will receive a diploma cover at the ceremony, and their diploma will be mailed to their home addresses. 

Graduate Ceremony 

The Graduate Commencement Ceremony will be held at 4.p.m. on Friday at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. Graduates must be at Wilkinson Hall by 2 p.m.  

Guests may begin entering Assembly Hall at 2 p.m. Seating is on a first-come, first-serve basis, and seats for guests will be located on the east and west ends of the building. The ceremony will end around 6 p.m. 

Candidates and recipients for Doctorate of Philosophy (Ph.D.) and doctoral degrees will be recognized individually. Master's degrees participants will not be recognized individually.  

All graduates must return their gowns after the ceremony ends, but they may keep their caps, tassels and cords.