administration academics & research

David Tolchinsky will serve as new dean of The Media School

camediaschooldean052523.jpg

David Tolchinsky, professor of radio, TV and film at Northwestern University, will serve as the new dean of The Media School, IU announced Thursday. Tolchinsky will begin the position Sept. 11, 2023.  

Tolchinsky served as the chair of Northwestern University’s Radio/Television/Film department from 2007 to 2018. He is the founding director of the university’s Master of Fine Arts in Writing for Screen and Stage program, according to Northwestern University. Tolchinsky is also the co-founder of the Pritzker Pucker Studio Lab for the Promotion of Mental Health via Cinematic Arts, which develops, analyses and promotes media centered on mental health.  

[Related: Media School dean search committee to narrow down candidates to finalists this month]

According to a Media School press release, Tolchinsky has industry experience in screenwriting, composition and sound design, curating multimedia exhibitions, directing and producing plays. The press release also states Tolchinsky’s work as a writer and director, such as his film “Cassandra”, have won both domestic and international awards.  

Additionally, Tolchinsky has received Northwestern School of Communication’s Clarence Simon Award for Outstanding Teaching and Mentoring, as well as the Karl Rosengren Faculty Mentoring Award, according to the press release. He was also appointed as a McCormick Professor of Teaching Excellence at Northwestern University.  

Tolchinsky will succeed the current interim dean, Walter Gantz. Gantz has served in the position since The Media School’s founding Dean, James Shanahan, stepped down in July 2021.  

[Related: IU launches committee for new Media School dean after previous search failed]

IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Rahul Shrivastav appointed a committee to identify candidates for the dean position in October 2022 after a previous search for candidates failed. The initial search, which took place in the summer of 2021, did not provide a final candidate but was in the semi-finalist stage.  

The dean of The Media School will oversee and administer the school’s recruitment, retention plans, research mission, partnerships, facilities and curriculum, according to the Indiana Daily Student