sports little 500

After successful 5 years as JetBlach, Delta Tau Delta returns to Little 500

spiudeltsfeature041723.jpg

In January 2017, Delta Tau Delta was suspended after multiple reports of hazing according to a statement from the Delts’ national office. As preparation for the 67th running of the Little 500 had already begun, the members of the fraternity who were training for the race were forced to change their team's name as a result of the suspension. JetBlach was chosen as the new name, which is an acronym for the last names of the founders of the fraternity. 

Although 2017’s edition of the largest collegiate bike race in the U.S. saw JetBlach finish in the 17th position, the four years following saw four consecutive top six finishes, including a win in 2021.  

After a successful five years with an average finish of 6.4, Delta Tau Delta’s five-year suspension ended, and the Delts are making their return to the Little 500 under their fraternity's name instead of JetBlach. 

With the fraternity making its first appearance in the race since 2016, the team dynamic between riders has been positive with a few additions to the team.  

“(The dynamic) has been really good,” junior captain Josh Herbst said. “We started off losing one guy from last year and then everyone else returned, so our first goals in the fall were to recruit some freshmen and get rookies on the team because you need new blood every year.” 

With the additions of freshman Benjamin Nordstrom, freshman Parker Miesch and junior Sean Simpson — who transferred from IUPUI — Delta Tau Delta has a mix of veterans and rookies.  

The three championships in the program has created a winning culture, but sophomore Jonathan Peterson feels that the team has been able to take the regimented training structure seriously enough to allow time to relax and hang out. 

After posting a time of 02:39.47 at qualifications, the Delts will start in the 11th position for the 72nd running of the storied race. 

Starting 11th out of 33 teams is a solid starting spot.  With the 200-lap race set for Saturday, the Delts are already ahead of two-thirds of the field. 

“We never put as big of an emphasis on quals as some other teams do,” said senior Brady Jarosinski. “With the field filling back up again, you’ve just got to focus on getting in the race, and so we did that.” 

With a third-place finish in Team Pursuit on April 8, the team feels confident in their abilities going into race day. 

“We feel pretty good and I know we have what it takes," Jarosinski said.

In terms of preparation for Saturday’s race, the team has been watching film of past Little 500s to better prepare for what could happen throughout the 200-lap race. Although analyzing what has happened in prior years can be helpful, being aware throughout the race is crucial. 

“For us, it’s just all about being aware of what’s going on around you so you can respond to it,” Herbst said. “It’s just all about awareness and being able to respond to the cards that you’re dealt.” 

In the months leading up to the 72nd Little 500, Delta Tau Delta has developed a plan for the race, but Herbst knows anything can happen come race day. 

“Everyone goes into the with a plan, but at the end of the day, only one team’s plan is going to work,” Herbst said. 

The 72nd edition of the men’s Little 500 is set to begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday on the quarter-mile cinder track at Bill Armstrong Stadium.