sports softball

Indiana softball wins 22nd in a row with low-scoring victory over Western Kentucky

spiusbrecap040423.jpg

Indiana softball returned to the diamond for the first of four games this week, a 3-0 victory over Western Kentucky University. Coming off a series sweep against Ohio State, the Hoosiers were able to extend their win streak to 22 against a team that was picked to win their conference. 

Team 50 opened the scoring in the top of the first inning with an RBI single from sophomore outfielder Taylor Minnick, driving in senior utility player Cora Bassett. The Hoosiers scored their final two runs via a two-run home run from freshman Taryn Kern — her 16th home run of the season, which ties her with Michelle Venturella for the most home runs in a season in program history. 

Although Indiana was able to win a close 3-0 game, head coach Shonda Stanton felt her team wasn’t aggressive at the plate as it typically is. 

“I would’ve liked to have been more aggressive with the sticks,” Stanton said after escaping with a victory. “I don’t think we were aggressive enough and we weren’t real well in the disadvantage counts, but when they were in advantage counts, I thought we did a better job.” 

Only scoring three runs in the game, the pitching staff needed the impressive performances that they got in the circle from sophomores Brianna Copeland and Heather Johnson. Copeland improved her record to 13-0, allowing just four hits in five innings. Johnson entered the game in the sixth inning, holding the Hilltoppers hitless and shutting the door at any chance of a comeback. With Copeland and Johnson each being in their second season wearing the cream and crimson, head coach Shonda Stanton attributes their improvements to associate head coach Chanda Bell. 

“What I have seen is that I have a tremendous pitching coach and associate head coach in Chanda Bell,” Stanton said after the victory. “She knows how to prep with the best, prepare well and she grows and develops athletes under her.” 

Once again, junior shortstop Brooke Benson was essential to getting out of Bowling Green, Kentucky with the victory, going 2-for-3 at the plate and totaling four putouts in the field. 

“You can’t talk about our team if you don’t talk about Brooke Benson,” Stanton said after the victory. “To me, she’s a gold glove ballplayer at short, she’s already got over 100 assists on the year, and she is flashing the leather.” 

Indiana now enters a difficult stretch with matchups with Minnesota, the University of Louisville, the University of Notre Dame and Nebraska in the next two weeks. After taking care of business with a victory in a midweek matchup on the road, the Hoosiers can now turn their focus to their three-game series against Minnesota that begins on April 7. 

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.