bloomington

UPDATED: Thunderstorms, severe storms possible in Monroe County Wednesday

Breaking News Filler

Thunderstorms and severe storms, including tornadoes, damaging winds and large hail are possible Wednesday in central Indiana, including Monroe County, according to the National Weather Service in Indianapolis.  

Isolated thunderstorms, hail and lightning are possible Tuesday night. On Wednesday, 45 mph strong winds gusts are expected.

Indiana Gov. Eric Holcomb declared a disaster emergency for Johnson and Sullivan counties Saturday because of the severe weather Friday night, when at least nine tornadoes hit Indiana and three people died. He said the Indiana Department of Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency are working together to assess the damage.

The NWS issued a tornado warning for multiple counties in south and central Indiana, including Monroe County, until 11:30 p.m. Friday, according to an IU Notify alert sent Friday night.  

A severe thunderstorm 14 miles northwest of Bloomington capable of producing a tornado was moving northeast at 80 mph at 11 p.m. Friday, according to the NWS. 

People were advised to take shelter, avoid windows and move to a basement or a room on the lowest floor of a building, according to the IU Notify alert. People outdoors, in a mobile home or vehicle were advised to move to the closest shelter. 

Tornadoes are difficult to see at night and can cause flying debris, damage to roofs, windows, vehicles and trees, according to the National Weather Service.  

This story will be updated.