student life

IU to host speaker panels and events to celebrate Women’s History Month

cawomenhist022223.jpg

Throughout March, IU Bloomington will host several events to celebrate Women’s History Month. 

The U.S. has celebrated Women’s History Month every March since 1987 when Congress passed Pub. L. 100-9 following petitions from the National Women’s History Project. Throughout the month, women are celebrated for their contributions and achievements. 

March Speaker Series: Celebrating Women’s HERstory Month 

The IUB Staff Council will host March Speaker Series- Celebrating Women’s HERstory Month from 1 to 2 p.m. on March 28. The webinar is free but people will need to register beforehand. 

Lamara Warren, assistant dean for diversity and inclusion on the IUB Staff Council, said in an email the speakers were chosen based on their diversity and years of experience at IU. The panelists consist of Jen Berry, assistant director and lead academic advisor at the 21st Century Scholars Program, Carmen Henne-Ochoa, assistant dean for diversity and inclusion in the College of Arts and Sciences, Amanda Peterson, IU Working Moms co-founder and associate director of financial aid and records for the School of Optometry and Abby Van Alstine Brown, executive secretary and assistant to the senior advisor to the provost. 

[Related: CAMT ranks IU above average for campus safety]

“During this speaker series, the panelists will share their experience at IUB through the lens of their own identities,” Warren said in the email. “The stories of the panelists will center around people, resources and tips that have been helpful to their experiences at IUB.” 

Date Night at the Museum 

The Eskenazi Museum of Art will also host Date Night at the Museum on March 23, which will include Date Night Tour: Women in Art from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. The event will be a guided tour looking at artworks created by women artists. The event is free to attend, but people will need to register beforehand. 

A conversation with women in public safety 

IU Public Safety will host a conversation with women in public safety from 5 to 6 p.m. on March 22 over Zoom. The panelists will share their experiences as women in IU Public Safety. The event is free to attend.