sports softball

Indiana softball infielder Taryn Kern earns two awards for second straight week

spiusbbrief032023.jpg

For the second straight week, Indiana softball freshman infielder Taryn Kern earned two accolades. After winning Big Ten Player of the Week along with Big Ten Co-Freshman of the Week March 13, Kern was honored with Co-Big Ten Player of the Week and Freshman of the Week on Monday. Kern shared the player of the week award with Ohio State sophomore outfielder Melina Wilkinson. 

Kern yet again paced Indiana to a perfect weekend, this time in Memphis, Tennessee. The infielder had eight hits in 12 at-bats to extend Team 50’s winning streak to a dozen games. Half of those hits were home runs, and an additional six walks led to Kern’s weekend run total of 10. Kern posted a staggering .818 on-base percentage and 1.917 slugging percentage in the four wins. 

Kern leads not only Indiana, but the Big Ten in many offensive categories. The San Jose, California, native leads the Hoosiers with nine home runs and is ahead of everyone else in the Big Ten in on-base percentage, slugging percentage, on-base plus slugging percentage, runs batted in and hit by pitches. Kern is also second in the conference in runs scored with 30. 

Kern and the rest of Team 50 open up Big Ten play this weekend at Andy Mohr Field against No. 22 Maryland. The first pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday.  

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.