Indiana legislature passes ban on gender-affirming care for transgender youth

casb480passed032723.jpg

The Indiana House of Representatives voted 65-30 to pass Senate Bill 480 on Monday, joining 11 states that have banned gender-affirming care for minors. If Gov. Eric Holcomb signs the bill into law, transgender minors will no longer be able to get access to gender-affirming care, including hormone replacement therapy, puberty blockers and surgical procedures for the purpose of gender transition. 

The bill prohibits physicians from aiding in a minor’s gender transition and subjects the physician to disciplinary action from the board regulating the physician. 

The bill lists medical exceptions, like a “medically verifiable disorder of sex development.” The ban won’t prohibit mental health care or social services for transgender individuals.  

[Related: Indiana HB 1608 expanded, advances to full senate

Physicians can continue to prescribe hormone therapy until the end of the year to individuals who began the therapy prior to June 30, 2023, according to the bill. 

The American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana previously announced its opposition to the bill, claiming it will prevent transgender youth from receiving life-saving care and prevent parents and children from making decisions about their own healthcare.  

[Related: Indiana representatives discuss education, LGBTQ rights bills at townhall Thursday

If Holcomb vetoes the bill, the legislature can override the veto. Indiana only requires a simple majority to override a veto. If signed by the governor, however, the law will take effect July 1. 

Last year, Holcomb vetoed a bill that aimed to ban transgender girls from participating in girls’ sports. His veto was quickly overridden by the state legislature, and the bill became law.