Monday, March 18

Spring season: a look at what’s coming to Buskirk-Chumley

entbuskirk032123.jpg

Here’s everything you need to know about the spring season at the historic Buskirk-Chumley theater and event venue: 

March 

Honky-tonk fans and alternative country band Town Mountain will stop in Bloomington. The North Carolina band will hit the stage at 7 p.m. on March 23. Tickets are just $25. 

The Hoosier Films Annual Festival will take over the theater from March 24-26. The festival showcases recent films made by Hoosiers, celebrating the talent within the community. Tickets can be found on the Buskirk-Chumley website, as well as the festival’s own website

The InMotion Dance Company is set to perform a free and unticketed event at 6:30 p.m. on March 29. The company will showcase new and original choreography, fusing many different styles to create their own. 

Related: [Spring forward: local performances this week

“Sunday*,” an independent coming-of-age film made right here in Bloomington, will be shown at 7 p.m. on March30. Tickets are just $7. 

IU’s all-male a capella group Another Round will close out the March events with a rousing performance at 7:30 p.m. on March 31. Tickets range from $5-15. 

April 

The Banff Centre’s Mountain Film Festival is going on tour, stopping in Bloomington on April 1-2. Presented by IU Outdoor Adventures, this festival highlights the beauty of the outdoors with high-adrenaline films. Ticket packages are available now starting at $18. 

IU’s Asian Culture Center presents the Asian American Pacific Islander Movement Short Film Festival featuring films covering adversity, struggle and beauty. Love what you see? There will also be a Q&A session following the films, highlighting the dedication these filmmakers have for their craft. The event is free, but tickets must be claimed online for the 7 p.m. show on April5. 

IU a capella group Resting Pitch Face will have their spring showcase at 6 p.m. on April 8. Tickets range from $5-10. 

IU’s Jacobs School of Music presents their Jazz Studies students in concert at 7:30 p.m. on April 10. The free and unticketed concert will feature two sets, with the Tom Walsh Jazz Ensemble opening the act and the Plummer Jazz Sextet closing the night. 

The African American Dance Company will hold their annual spring concert with the African American Arts Institute at 7 p.m. on April 15. The legendary group will present a vast repertoire of dance styles ranging from jazz to hip-hop to modern dance. Tickets range from $15-25. 

Plato’s Closet presents the 14th Annual Trashion Refashion Runway Show, challenging designers and rethink fashion designers to create looks out of upcycled clothes and trash items. The show will take place at 7 p.m. on April 16 and is a fundraiser for the Center for Sustainable Living. Tickets range from $10-15. 

“The Addict's Wake,” a documentary centered on the opioid epidemic and its effects on Brown County locals, will be shown at 6 p.m. on April 18. The event is free to attend with a discussion panel at the end, but tickets must be claimed on the Buskirk-Chumley website

Related: [COLUMN: A night of noodles: trying Osteria Rago

IU Soul Revue, America’s first black pop music ensemble since 1971, will have their spring concert at 7:30 p.m. on April 22. Tickets range from $15-25. 

Student film “Who Murdered Professor Black?” will be shown at 7 p.m. on April 23, with a meet and greet with the cast and crew after the film. Tickets are just $6. 

Bimonthly live podcast “Welcome to Night Vale,” featuring musical guest Mal Blum, will record at 8 p.m. on April 24. Tickets are $30 for the bone-chilling event. 

Bloomington Expressive Arts Training, or BEAT for short, will perform their 11th Annual Spring Showcase at 7 p.m. on April 25. BEAT is a show choir training program for children grades 1-12. Tickets range from $12 to $18. 

The African American Arts Institute presents a spring concert from the Emmy-winning African American Choral Ensemble at 7:30 p.m. on April 29. Tickets range from $15-25.