Jackson-Davis, Hood-Schifino awarded Big Ten weekly honors for Indiana men’s basketball

spiubbbrief021323.jpg

Indiana men’s basketball senior forward Trayce Jackson-Davis was named Big Ten Co-Player of the Week, and freshman guard Jalen Hood-Schifino earned Big Ten Freshman of the Week honors, the conference announced Monday.  

[Related: Jackson-Davis, Hood-Schifino lead No. 18 Indiana men’s basketball over Michigan 62-61

This marks Jackson-Davis' fourth consecutive and seventh career week receiving player of the week honors. He is the first player in Big Ten history to win the award four weeks in a row and now holds the title for most all-time in the Indiana men’s basketball program. 

Jackson-Davis has led the Hoosiers to a 9-5 conference record after a 1-4 start to Big Ten play. The preseason All-American averaged 24 points, 14.5 rebounds and 4.5 assists in wins against then-No. 24 Rutgers and Michigan last week.  

Jackson-Davis was recently named to the Naismith Trophy Midseason Team and a top-10 candidate for the Karl Malone Power Forward of the Year award. The senior captain also became the first player in Indiana men’s basketball history to record 2,000 career points and 1,000 career rebounds

Hood-Schifino has taken freshman of the week honors three times this season, all of which have come in the 2023 calendar year. He averaged 14 points, 3.5 rebounds and four assists last week, including an impressive performance at Michigan. 

The freshman tallied 21 points, five assists and four rebounds as he and Jackson-Davis combined for nearly 80% of the Hoosiers’ offensive production. His two-man game with the fellow weekly honoree drove Indiana to a come-from-behind victory to improve in the Big Ten standings. 

[Related: ‘Built for every moment’: Hot and cold Hood-Schifino guides No. 18 Indiana to victory] 

Indiana will face Jackson-Davis' co-player of the week –– Northwestern senior guard Boo Buie –– when it travels to Evanston, Illinois to face the Wildcats Wednesday night. The contest will determine sole possession of second place in the conference.

Follow reporters Evan Gerike (@EvanGerike) and Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and columnist Bradley Hohulin (@BradleyHohulin) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball season.