sports softball

Indiana softball heads to Greensboro, NC to compete in UNCG Invitational

spiusbpreview022323.jpg

Indiana softball is set to return to play in Greensboro, North Carolina, playing in the University of North Carolina Greensboro Invitational. The Hoosiers finished with an abysmal 0-5 record in the ESPN TaxAct Clearwater Invitational on Feb. 19 in Clearwater, Florida.

After facing four ranked opponents last weekend in Clearwater, the Hoosiers' schedule gives them a break from elite competition. Unlike the previous two tournaments the Hoosiers have participated in, the UNCG Invitational is a round-robin tournament, meaning that every team plays against each other.  

The Hoosiers square off against the University of Connecticut (4-4) at 11 a.m. on Friday, immediately followed up with a matchup against the University of Delaware (4-5) at 1:30 p.m.  

Indiana will then take on the University of North Carolina Greensboro (7-3) at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday. After the contest between the Hoosiers and UNCG, each of the four teams will be seeded one through four based on the results of the three games that they have played up to that point. 

Once the seeding is complete, the number one seed will face off against the number four seed at 4 p.m. Saturday. The matchup between the number two and number three seed will take place immediately following at 6:30 p.m. 

The loser of Saturday evening’s games will square off at 10 a.m. Sunday morning. The winner of each game on Saturday evening will face off at 12:30 p.m. on Sunday, with the winner being crowned the champion of the UNCG Invitational. 

This weekend will be an opportunity for Indiana to improve its record, gain confidence after a poor showing in Clearwater and progress on both sides of the ball after allowing 43 runs last weekend and only scoring four.  

The UNCG Invitational will be streamed through the FloSports app. A FloSoftball subscription will be needed to watch each of the Hoosiers’ games this weekend.

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.