Indiana University Prison Arts Initiative student exhibition to open Jan. 31

entiupa012623-png

The Indiana University Prison Arts Initiative will host its first “Free to Wonder: The Indiana University Prison Arts Initiative Student Exhibition” showcase from Jan. 31 to Feb. 17. The artwork will be displayed in City Hall’s Atrium Gallery, located at 401 N. Morton St.   

The initiative began in fall 2022 as an outreach partnership run through the IU Arts & Humanities Council and the IU Center for Rural Engagement. The initiative offers a 16-week, course in prison using IU instructors. The course includes both visual arts and writing. 

Related: [IU offered its first-ever drawing and visual arts class in prison this fall]

In a story done with the IDS, program coordinator Oliver Nell said they designed this course to be able to serve all levels of experience.  

“We wanted to open the doors to prison education,” Nell said in the story. “It becomes a real lifeline for students. It can become damaging if you take this away from them. Sustainability is important, and we want to make sure this is something that can be replicated semester to semester with different instructors.”  

The exhibition will feature work by 10 students from Putnamville Correctional Facility who took the course during the fall of 2022. An opening reception will take place from 5-7:30 p.m. on Feb. 3 in the City Hall Atrium. The reception will feature remarks by IUPAI facilitators and teachers. No tickets are required to attend.