student life

Walter Center to transform 'Dead Week’ to College Care Week Dec. 5-9

cacareweek120422.jpg

The second to last week before winter break — ‘dead week’— is a stressful time for all students as they rapidly prepare for final exams, work on projects and finish up any assignments before the end of the semester.  

To help combat stress and provide relief, the Walter Center for Career Achievement will hold the semesterly College Care Week from Dec. 5-9 on the second floor of Ernie Pyle Hall.  

For every day of the week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., the center will be a quiet space for students to study. From 9-11:30 a.m., there will be a bagel breakfast bar and from noon to 4 p.m., a snack bar will be provided. 

Related: ['Balance Week' aims to provide business students the opportunity to practice wellness skills during finals season]

On Dec. 5 from 1-2 p.m., the Correspondence Club event will consist of a blindfolded taste-testing game with Oreos, Uno and encouraging letters from anonymous local third graders. From 2-3 p.m., students can build a popsicle stick puppet. 

On Dec. 6, there will be cookie decorating from noon to 2 p.m. Students can RSVP to make a short film with Media School faculty member Bear Brown from 3-6 p.m. 

On Dec. 6 and Dec. 8, Gretchen Hall, adjunct professor of acting in the Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance, will host a calm breathing session from 10-11 a.m. She will lead students through a cyclical breathing technique to help lower cortisol levels and feel better prepared when in stressful situations. Additionally, from 2-3 p.m., Dr. Ana Carneiro, assistant professor of playwriting, will lead a meditation and reiki healing event, a Japanese form of energy transmission that aims to reduce stress and provide relaxation and healing to help balance the body and mind. 

Related: [OPINION: Pulling all-night study sessions is not as productive as you think

On Dec. 7, the Political Science Department will provide pizza and puppies from noon to 2 p.m. in Woodburn Hall 208. The Media School faculty and staff will bring their pets for students to play with from noon to 5 p.m. in the Franklin Hall Commons. There will also be more pets in Ernie Pyle Hall from noon to 5 p.m. 

On Dec. 8 from noon to 2 p.m., students can decorate a take-home terrarium. Materials including succulents, small figurines, rocks and moss will be provided. 

To conclude the week on Dec. 9, a hot cocoa and coloring event will occur from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.