crime & courts

UPDATE: Two 17-year-olds arrested in connection with stabbing near campus this past weekend

Crime Filler

A friend of the stabbing victim has organized a GoFundMe for the victim's medical bills. Those interested can donate here.  

The Bloomington Police Department arrested two 17-year-old boys in connection with the stabbing of a 19-year-old male early Saturday morning, BPD said in an email Tuesday.  

Officers responded to a call from a home in the 400 block of North Dunn Street at approximately 12:35 a.m. Saturday morning, where they found a 19-year-old man bleeding heavily from a stab wound in his arm.  

According to the email, witnesses told BPD there had been a large party at the home and several people became angry after not being allowed inside. One of these people pulled out a knife and began to wave it around. Others kicked the door open, forced their way into the home and started a fight. One of the suspects stabbed the victim in the arm and fled from the scene on foot.  

BPD posted pictures of one of the suspects on its Facebook social media account and said the public helped identify the boy. The suspect, a 17-year-old from Bloomington, is believed to be one of the partygoers involved in kicking down the door. According to the email, he has been taken to a juvenile detention center and preliminarily charged with burglary, intimidation with a deadly weapon and battery resulting in injury.  

Another 17-year-old from Bloomington believed to have committed the stabbing was arrested on preliminary charges of burglary, aggravated battery and battery with a deadly weapon, according to the BPD email. BPD also transported this suspect to a juvenile detention center.  

The victim received treatment at IU Health Bloomington Hospital and is in stable condition with non-life-threatening injuries. It is unknown if anyone involved in the incident is an IU student.  

Anyone with information should contact Detective Jeff Rodgers at 812-339-4477 or rodgersj@bloomington.in.gov.

Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue’s student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 “wins” the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.