crime & courts

Police investigate alleged stabbing near campus early Saturday morning, continue to search for suspect

Crime Filler

A stabbing allegedly occurred near 425 N. Dunn St. early Saturday morning, according to an IU Notify Bloomington alert sent just after 1 a.m. The suspect, a white male with shoulder-length curly brown hair wearing a blue flannel and a beanie, fled on foot. 

The incident occurred just a half hour after another alert reported an armed suspect around the same address.  

The alerts advised all people to avoid the area, seek shelter, lock their doors and call 911 with any information pertaining to the suspect.  

The stabbing occurred during the first night of IU Dance Marathon. IUDM participants were instructed not to leave the IU Tennis Center. IUDM also locked doors and temporarily stopped allowing dancers to enter the venue. As of 1:45 a.m. Saturday morning, IUDM organizers said they talked with the police and started allowing dancers to enter the IU Tennis Center once again. 

IU sent a final update at 2:10 a.m. stating police continue to search for the subject and advising people to be aware of their surroundings. 

The Monroe County Dispatch Center said in a phone call around 2 a.m. Saturday it has no information to offer on the situation at this time.  

This story will be updated.