IDS Connect

IDS wins college media outlet, newspaper of the year among numerous other newsroom awards

dcpic2.JPG

The Indiana Daily Student brought home several national college awards last weekend, including best college media outlet, best newspaper of the year and second-best all-time newspaper among multiple other newspaper, online and multiplatform recognitions. IDS staff also received multiple awards in best story, multimedia, design and advertising categories.  

While such awards do not define a publication’s worthiness nor its reason for producing quality content, it is a kind reminder of the quality of journalism present in our newsroom and the ways our coverage can influence those in our community and abroad. The IDS will continue to pursue important stories, challenge the status quo and serve as both a standard for student journalism, as well as an important force for democracy and fairness in our community.  

Newsroom awards 

In the College Media Association’s Pinnacle awards, the IDS won first place for best weekly newspaper of the year and best media outlet of the year. The latter is a back-to-back win and the second time the publication has won.  

The Arbutus received an honorable mention for yearbook of the year in the CMA awards.  

IDS Online, the IDS newspaper and the Arbutus yearbook booked three spots in the Associated Collegiate Press’s Pacemaker 100. This distinction was given to 100 long-time award-winning student publications in honor of the ACP’s centennial.  

dcpic3.png
Indiana Daily Student assistant enterprise editor Helen Rummel, left, and editor-in-chief Cate Charron, right, pose with awards in hand Oct. 30, 2022, outside the Washington Post newsroom. The IDS newspaper, IDS online and the Arbutus yearbook were three honored publication in the Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker 100. Jim Rodenbush

In the group’s top-10 countdown, the IDS was awarded with second best all-time newspaper — third overall in student media. This means the IDS is one of the winningest and most-nominated student publications in the country all-time since the ACP’s conception. The IDS has racked up 31 nominations and 24 newspaper Pacemaker awards, 13 nominations and eight online Pacemaker awards and one nomination and award for the newly created multiplatform Pacemaker award. 

The IDS was awarded three organizational Pacemakers for best newspaper, online publication and multiplatform publication for this past year’s work. These recognitions go to the best student media publications in each category in the country. 

The ACP also awards Best in Show awards for current student work. The IDS won first place for best news website, and the Arbutus won first place for best yearbook. The IDS newspaper placed sixth. 

Individual awards 

Evan Gerike, sports investigations and men’s basketball reporter, won first place for his investigation, “The program is doomed’: Players say coach created a culture of fear,” in the ACP best sports feature category. Gerike and his investigation also won best sports investigative story in the CMA Pinnacle awards. 

Former IDS reporter Matt Cohen also took home first place for “Indignity in death: Unmarked graves in Bloomington indicate long history of racism” for the ACP best story on diversity, equity and inclusion. The same story placed first in the best multimedia feature story in the CMAs for former IDS photographer Mallorey Daunhauer and managing editor of digital Carson Terbush’s work.  

dcpic1.JPG
From left to right, Indiana Daily Student advisor Jim Rodenbush, reporter Evan Gerike, assistant enterprise editor Helen Rummel, editor-in-chief Cate Charron and Associated Collegiate Press president Laura Widmer pose for a photo. The IDS was listed as one of the top all-time publications in the country. Courtesy Photo

Editor-in-chief Cate Charron and the IDS were awarded the Student Press Law Association’s 2022 Reveille Seven Courage in Student Journalism Award for her “Dissonance in due process” investigation and resulting difficulties to obtain student’s disciplinary records. The annual award is given to a college news organization or reporter demonstrating outstanding reporting that leaves an impact on their community. Charron’s investigation placed second for ACP best in-depth news story. 

Arbutus editor Izzy Myszak earned first place for ACP best yearbook spread/page and an honorable mention for best yearbook cover for her work on the 2021-2022 Arbutus yearbook. 

Managing editor Nic Napier’s “A crisis of faith” investigation received an honorable mention in the best coverage of faith in the CMA Pinnacle awards. 

Former enterprise editor Kaity Radde’s editorial, titled “IU’s violations of public access laws this year show contempt for transparency. But the problem is even deeper than that,” placed third for CMA best editorial.  

Former reporters Phyllis Cha and Hannah Dailey, former photographer Ethan Levy and Myszak’s “After the audition” project received an honorable mention for CMA multimedia feature story. 

Former IDS designer Madelyn Powers also placed third for CMA best editorial cartoon. 

Adviser awards 

Current IDS adviser Ruth Witmer was honored as ACP Pioneer Award winner, which celebrates 101 journalism educators and advocates in student media. 

“Pioneers are distinguished journalism educators and advocates who have provided exceptional leadership for collegiate media programs and made exceptional contributions to collegiate journalism and to the association in its service,” the ACP said on its website. 

Ron Johnson, former IDS adviser and director of student media, and the late David Adams, another IDS adviser, were also recognized. 

Marketing awards 

The IDS creative marketing and design team also took home multiple ACP honors. 

Former special publication editor Madelyn Power’s 2021 Housing Guide was honored with fifth place for best newspaper special section/advertising.  

Former team members Erika Armstrong and Hayley Skrezyna were honorable mentions for best print advertisement and best digital advertisement. Former team member Dominique Hance and IDS Marketing Director Bethany Everson were honorable mentions for best social media campaign. Staff also received an honorable mention for its media kit

The team took third place for Best Ad Supplement/Special Section. 

In the ACP’s best in show awards, the advertising and design team won second place for best Advertising Special Newspaper Section.  

Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.