BREAKING: Jack Tuttle starts at quarterback for Indiana football against Penn State

spiufbbrief110522.jpg

Redshirt junior Jack Tuttle was named the starter at quarterback for Indiana football ahead of its matchup with Penn State on Saturday afternoon.   

Tuttle, who was named a captain prior to the 2022 season, announced he was transferring from the program back on Oct. 17 but would remain with the team through the end of the semester.  

This will be Tuttle’s fifth-career start for the Hoosiers and 15th appearance at quarterback. Just like last season when his two starting appearances came against No. 10 Michigan State and No. 5 Ohio State at home, he’ll be challenged with another ranked team in No. 16 Penn State at home as well. 

The quarterback change comes after Indiana suffered its fifth-straight loss on the road against Rutgers on Oct. 22. Redshirt junior Connor Bazelak, who was named the starting quarterback ahead of the season opener against Illinois on Sept. 2, started eight consecutive games so far for the Hoosiers. Prior to the game, Bazelak was not dressed in uniform and was on the sideline during warmups. 

The announcement of Tuttle being the starter was kept secret from the public and was released minutes prior to kickoff, similar to the announcement of Bazelak being the starter at the beginning of this season. Until today, Tuttle has served as Bazelak’s backup. 

True freshman Brendan Sorsby will serve as the backup to Tuttle. The Hoosiers are a 13.5-point underdog against No. 16 Penn State.  

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.