student life

Almost half of IU’s Greek Life is on disciplinary measures this year

cagreeksuspension110922.jpg

Twenty-two IU fraternities and sororities have been subject to discipline this 2022-23 school year. 

As of Nov. 10, two organizations are on cease and desist, 10 are on suspension and another 10 are on disciplinary probation, according to the Division of Student Affairs

Four fraternities were put on cease and desist in September: Alpha Epsilon Pi, Sigma Alpha Mu, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Pi Kappa Alpha. 

On Nov. 9 Theta Chi was put on cease and desist. Pi Kappa Alpha is now on elevated disciplinary probation through June 30, 2023. Alpha Epsilon Pi and Sigma Phi Epsilon are also on extended disciplinary probation through Dec. 15, 2022.  

What’s the difference between those statuses? 

Cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon certain aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation.  

Disciplinary probation includes a warning that any violation of the conditions, or any further acts of misconduct will result in additional sanctions, which may include suspension or expulsion from the university. 

When on suspension, student organizations will cease and desist all activities and disband. The Administrative Conference Panel proposes the length of a suspension, and the dean of students decides how long the suspension will be. 

Disciplinary probation includes a warning that any violation of the conditions or any further acts of misconduct will result in additional sanctions, which may include chapter suspension or expulsion from the university. 

“When organizations are placed on a status like probation or suspension, they are focused on creating change and preventing the behavior from reoccurring in the future,” IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said. “A suspended organization would also need to complete and demonstrate many things before we would consider them for reentry to the community.” 

What happens when an incident happens? 

When an incident is reported to the Office of Student Conduct, the allegations and incident will be assessed and investigated. OSC will determine if case moves to an alternative resolution, collaborative action plan meeting or formal administrative conference. 

Alternative resolution includes meditation, restorative processes related programs, Chapter Coach Referral HQ Referral or formal agreement with the IU Vice Provost of Student Affairs. Collaborative action plan meeting means student organization accepts responsibility for the alleged misconduct charge. The formal administrative conference occurs after the student organization receives an official charge letter. From there, the student organization will attend a pre-hearing meeting with a staff member in OSFL or Student Involvement and Leadership Center to discuss the administrative conference process and review the alleged violations and investigative findings.  

How is IU trying to mediate the problem? 

The IU Interfraternity Council and the IU Panhellenic Association passed a new set of health and safety rules to govern social events in response to fraternities being placed on cease and desist, which began Sept. 15. 

IU Interfraternity Council president Ethan Golde said in a press release IFC leadership looks forward to working closely with the OSC to ensure chapters are cooperating with all investigations, and there will be severe consequences for the chapters from both IU and IFC. 

“If there is a fraternity not deserving of the opportunity to operate on the campus serving as a role model for national Greek Life, we will be more than happy to replace them,” Golde said. 

Dani Weatherford, CEO of the National Panhellenic Conference, said it does not have control or authority over disciplinary processes. The decisions are made exclusively by international or national sorority headquarters or university officials based on their established policies.  

“It is always disappointing to learn of chapters facing disciplinary action of some form, but we believe it is crucial that the sorority community at-large remain accountable for creating truly supportive and safe environments for members,” Weatherford said.