Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity placed on cease and desist effective Sept. 5

IU’s chapter of the Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity was placed on cease and desist effective Sept. 5 until further notice, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status.  

The fraternity was placed on cease and desist for endangering others and alcohol. IU spokesperson Chuck Carney said the investigation is in collaboration with Sigma Alpha Mu’s national headquarters.  

Cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon certain aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation, according to IU’s definitions of disciplinary statuses. All organizational activities are suspended while a chapter is on cease and desist.  

22 student organizations are currently facing some sort of punishment, according to the list of organizations on disciplinary status. 

This story will be updated.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.