Alpha Epsilon Pi placed on cease and desist Tuesday

Breaking News Filler

IU’s chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi was placed on cease and desist until further notice effective Tuesday, according to IU’s list of organizations on cease and desist. The fraternity was placed on cease and desist for alcohol and endangering others. 

Cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon certain aspects of chapter operations when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation, according to IU’s definitions of disciplinary statuses. All organizational activities are suspended while a chapter is on cease and desist.   

Alpha Epsilon Pi is the third fraternity to be given the cease and desist status in September, along with Sigma Alpha Mu and Sigma Phi Epsilon.  

In April, Alpha Epsilon Pi was placed on elevated disciplinary probation until Sept. 30, 2022.  This was for endangering others, hazing, alcohol and failure to follow university and county COVID-19 policies, according to the list of organizations on disciplinary status.  

Disciplinary probation is a designation that warns an organization that continued misconduct will result in further disciplinary action. That action may include suspension or expulsion.  

Alpha Epsilon Pi is also on a social restriction through Dec. 15, 2022. A social restriction limits the organization from hosting certain events, according to IU’s definition of disciplinary statuses. The restrictions may apply to events that do or do not include alcohol and that take place on or off campus.