sports golf

Indiana women’s golf finishes 6th at Olde Stone Intercollegiate

spiuwgolfrecap102722.jpg

Indiana women’s golf finished the fall season with a sixth place finish out of 13 teams at the Olde Stone Intercollegiate on Oct. 24-25 in Bowling Green, Kentucky.  

After the first day of competition, the Hoosiers sat in fourth with a score of 300 (+11). It was their best first round score of the season and the solid play continued into the second round as they were on top of the leaderboard halfway through the round. The Hoosiers would finish the day in third place with a score of 295 (+7).  

“This time, we came out strong in the first round which was great to see,” head coach Brian May said. “The second was also good. We were concentrated and it showed.” 

On the second day, the Hoosiers struggled and finished the final round with a score of 314 (+26) which dropped them to sixth overall with a total score of 909 (+45). The sixth-place finish was the Hoosiers best of the fall season. 

Junior Dominika Burdova led Indiana in scoring for a second straight tournament, finishing tied for 10th with a final score of 222 (+6). 

“It was great to see Nika do well again,” May said. “You can really see the improvements she has made and can see her confidence rising every time she gets on the course.” 

Senior Valerie Clancey finished tied for 20th with a final score of 225 (+9). Senior Alexis Florio and junior Morgan Dabagia finished tied for 50th with a final score of 234 (+18), while sophomore Margaret Fernandez finished tied for 54th with a final score of 235 (+19). 

Indiana concludes its season moving up 22 spots in the national rankings to the 114th spot. The Hoosiers will open the spring season on Feb. 9 at the FAU Paradise Invitational at Osprey Point in Boca Raton, Florida. 

“This season was a great learning experience for our team,” May said. “We set some school records, moved up in the rankings and are going to be much better heading into the spring.”