sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball lets 2-1 lead slip away, loses 3-2 to Iowa

spiuvbrecap100822.jpg

Indiana volleyball left Iowa City as a .500 team in disappointing fashion as it claimed two sets in Saturday’s match against Iowa but was unable to win a third set to complete the night. 

Without offensive help from senior middle blocker Kayley Rammelsberg and junior outside hitter Morgan Geddes, the Hoosiers hit a low .152 hitting percentage on the afternoon in their 3-2 loss to the Hawkeyes.  

In the opening set of the match, the Hoosiers were down 24-22, a point away from losing the set, but went on a 4-1 run. The final remark of the first set came from junior outside hitter Grae Gonsell, who delivered a kill to seal the win 27-25. 

Up a set early, Indiana trailed Iowa to start the second set, 12-6. However, Gonsell was able to stop the 3-0 run with a massive block and shortly after, sophomore outside hitter Kenzie Daffinee gave Indiana its 10th point of the set and recorded her first kill of the season. The Hawkeyes ended the set strong with a kill by junior outside hitter Audrey Black, securing a 25-13 win to tie the match at one set apiece.  

[Related: Indiana volleyball hang around but loses 3-0 against No. 7 University of Wisconsin

Sophomore outside hitter Mady Saris responded to the second-set loss by providing Indiana with its first three points of the third set. Saris contributed a kill followed by two consecutive service aces. She continued to produce with another service ace late in the game to tie the score at 22-all. The third set ended with a solo block by junior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede, granting Indiana the 25-22 set win.  

The fourth set was a blowout as Indiana lost 25-11. The Hawkeyes went on a 7-0 run and quickly pulled away from the Hoosiers with an 18-7 lead. Freshman Candela Alonso-Corcelles stopped Iowa’s lengthy run with a kill, but Indiana was not able to build off the play and come back in the set. The loss in the fourth set by Indiana pushed the game to a 2-2 tie and forced a decisive fifth set. 

The fifth set commenced with a kill by Gonsell to give Indiana the early 1-0 lead. By the middle of the set, Indiana was still ahead 9-8 with the help of Iowa collecting back-to-back attack errors. However, the Hawkeyes responded with a 7-2 run, assuring a 15-11 loss in the set and a 3-2 loss in the match for the Hoosiers.  

Indiana senior defensive specialist Paula Cerame racked up 20 digs in the defeat, allowing her to reach the 1,000-mark for digs in her collegiate career.  

After the loss, Indiana falls to 9-9 overall and heads home to face Purdue for its next match. The rivals will face off at 7 p.m. in Bloomington on Oct. 14.  

Follow reporter Marnie Sara (@marns45) for updates throughout the Indiana volleyball season.