administration

IU Vice President for Research Fred Cate steps down, remains IU faculty

cafredcate101622.jpg

IU Vice President for Research Fred Cate will step down June 30, 2023, but remain at IU as a faculty member for the Maurer School of Law, according to a News at IU article published Oct. 13.  

Cate, who has served as vice president for research since 2015, oversees research development and administration. Under Cate’s leadership, IU received over $732 million in funding for research, instruction and service in the 2022 fiscal year.  

"I am privileged to have had this opportunity to work with a superb team in the Research office and dedicated researchers throughout IU to advance discovery and creativity for the people of Indiana and beyond," Cate said in the article. 

Related: [Christiana Ochoa named dean of the Maurer School of Law]

Cate led IU’s Grand Challenges program, a $300 million initiative aimed at funding research in precision health, environmental and addiction research.  

"As one of the nation's premier research universities, IU has world-class researchers who drive innovation, and Fred's advancement and support of their work have been instrumental," IU President Pamela Whitten said in the article. "I am grateful that Fred will continue to be a part of our university in his faculty role.” 

In addition to being the vice president for research, Cate is a distinguished professor and the C. Dutton Professor of Law. Specializing in information privacy and security law, Cate also teaches as an adjunct professor of Informatics and Computing. Cate founded IU’s Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research in 2003 and served as director until 2014. He remains a senior fellow at the center.  

Related: [Former Surgeon General Jerome Adams visits IU as Poling Chair of Business and Government]

According to his IU faculty page, Cate has partaken in a multitude of national and international commissions on cyber security, including the United Nations Working Group on Emergency Telecommunications, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security Data Privacy and Integrity Committee Cybersecurity Subcommittee, and the National Academies Forum on Cyber Resilience. Cate was elected to the Council on Foreign Relations, a nonpartisan think tank on U.S. foreign policy, in 2016.  

Before leaving his position, Cate will contribute to IU’s strategic framework as part of the IU 2030 project. The search for a new vice president for research will begin immediately.