IU to celebrate Indigenous Peoples’ Day with proclamation presentation Oct. 10

<p>A couple participates in a group dance during the IU Traditional Powwow on April 9, 2022, at the Marching Hundred Hall. The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs will host a presentation at the Sample Gates to celebrate the Indigenous People&#x27;s Day proclamation on Oct. 10.</p>

A couple participates in a group dance during the IU Traditional Powwow on April 9, 2022, at the Marching Hundred Hall. The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity, and Multicultural Affairs will host a presentation at the Sample Gates to celebrate the Indigenous People's Day proclamation on Oct. 10.

The Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Multicultural Affairs will host an Indigenous Peoples’ Day Proclamation Presentation 6 p.m. Oct. 10 at Sample Gates. Students are welcome to come and proudly celebrate Indigenous Peoples' Day. No RSVP is necessary. 

Indigenous Peoples’ Day is celebrated to honor the past, present and future of Native peoples in the United States. The holiday is celebrated on the second Monday of October, falling on Oct. 10 this year. 

Students are invited to join Vice President James Wimbush and Provost Shrivastav and honor the traditions, cultures and significant contributions of Indigenous People to the community, according to an email from the OVPDEMA. OVPDEMA said it will emphasize its commitment to deeper partnerships and more collaborative work with Native communities, according to the OVPDEMA website

Maks are optional at the event but are encouraged for those who may be more comfortable wearing them in public spaces. 

If there are any questions or concerns, people can email OVPDEMA at dema@iu.edu.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.