Indiana football fires offensive line coach Darren Hiller after six seasons

spiufbhillerbrief100922

Indiana football announced it has fired offensive line coach and run game coordinator Darren Hiller, according to a press release Sunday.  

“I want to thank Darren for his efforts and dedication to our football program,” Indiana head coach Tom Allen said in the press release Sunday. “He represented IU in a first-class manner, but I believe it is time for a new voice to lead the offensive line room.” 

The coaching changes come after Indiana’s 31-10 loss to Michigan on Saturday, where the Hoosiers offensive line gave up seven sacks and four quarterback hurries. 

[Related: Indiana offense falls dormant in the second half, can’t pull off upset over No. 4 Michigan

The 2022 season was Hiller’s sixth as the offensive line coach and run game coordinator for the Hoosiers, starting in 2017. His career at Indiana included a season where the Hoosiers led the Big Ten in fewest sacks allowed per game at 1.25, ranking 17th nationally in 2020. 

Taking over for Hiller for the remainder of the 2022 season will be former Hoosier football player and nine-year coaching veteran Rod Carey. 

“Rod is a tremendous football coach and leader of young men,” Allen said. “His record as a head coach and offensive line coach speaks for itself. Rod will make an immediate impact and integrate well with our offensive staff. 

Carey played for Indiana from 1990-1993 and was a three-year starter at center. 

This season is Carey's first at Indiana, previously serving as a quality control coach for Allen. As a head coach, he was 64-50 at Northern Illinois University from 2012-2018 and Temple University from 2019-2021. He has made seven bowl appearances in his head coaching career. 

Follow reporters Garrett Newman (@GarrettNewman20) and Jacob Spudich (@spudichjacob) and columnist Will Foley (@foles24) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.