sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer searching for its first conference victory this season against Nebraska

spiuwsocpreview100122.jpg

After being defeated 4-0 against Ohio State on Thursday, Indiana women’s soccer looks to turn the page when its faces the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Sunday at home. Indiana has lost three straight for the first time since 2018 and sits at a 2-3-6 record, 0-3-1 in the Big Ten. 

Meanwhile, Nebraska is an even 4-4-4 overall after a 1-1 draw at Purdue on Thursday. The Cornhuskers trailed the Boilermakers after conceding in the 73rd minute but found the equalizer less than two minutes later. Nebraska is 2-1-1 in conference play and was picked to finish 12th in the preseason poll — two spots below Indiana. 

[Related: ‘It sucks:’ Indiana women’s soccer losing streak continues in 4-0 loss to Ohio State]

Indiana and Nebraska have a common opponent in Minnesota, which both teams faced in September. Nebraska kicked off conference play with a 1-0 victory against Minnesota at home, whereas Indiana dropped the match to the Gophers 3-0. 

The Cornhuskers are led by longtime head coach John Walker, who is in his 29th season with the program. Walker has over 300 wins as the only head coach in Nebraska women’s soccer program history. 

Leading the Cornhuskers on the field is sophomore forward and midfielder Sarah Weber, who has a team-high five goals and 12 points. Junior goalkeeper Sami Hauk has played every minute between the posts, giving up an average of 1.5 goals per game while recording three shutouts. 

Just like Indiana, Nebraska is a very young team. The cornhuskers have only one senior on the roster, defender and midfielder Marissa Popoola, after graduating eleven players from the 2021 team. 

Indiana and Nebraska did not meet last year but have played 10 matches all-time. Nebraska has dominated the series, with a firm 8-1-1 record against Indiana. The Cornhuskers grabbed a 2-0 win in Bloomington in September 2019, the last meeting between the two. 

Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m. Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The match will be broadcast on BTN+. 

Follow reporters Emma Pawlitz (@emmapawlitz) and Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) for updates throughout the game and the rest of the Indiana women’s soccer season.