Tuesday, March 19

business & economy

Crumble Coffee and Bakery opens a third Bloomington location

cacrumble092922.jpg

Crumble Coffee and Bakery has opened a third Bloomington location, sitting at the corner of Atwater Avenue and Swain Avenue, behind Mother Bear’s Pizza.  

There was a soft opening Sept. 22, where they quietly opened the doors, serving their full drink menu along with baked goods. 

Opening the new store was a yearlong renovation process, which turned a dentistry office space into a brand-new space. It is now the bakery’s biggest location and has a large semi-private room that Crumble hopes to rent out to classes and small groups, general manager Abe Carney said.  

The new location is similar to the others but has more natural light and feels more open. 

“It’s very beautiful because they left a lot of the original architecture,” senior employee Alisha Nathani said. “The vibe is just very chill. There’s lots of outlets and different style seating that’s good for group work or individual work.” 

Related: [Parlor Doughnuts offers unique doughnut flavors and coffee in downtown Bloomington

The official grand opening date has not yet been announced. Crumble is waiting to have enough fully-trained staff to run three locations, and for owner Laura Edgar, who is on maternity leave, to attend.  

The new shop is currently open from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., serving their full drink menu along with baked goods. This location will be extending its hours soon, and unlike the other locations which close at 6 p.m., this store will be open until 8 p.m. Senior employee Olivia Wheatley believes this will encourage students to hang out and study. 

What makes this location stand apart from the others is that they will be serving crepes as well following their grand opening.  

Related: [COLUMN: Maya Hawke’s album 'Blush' is coffee shop background music

Edgar used to work at a Philadelphia coffee shop while helping owner Scott Reynolds run Crumble in Bloomington. After seeing how easy and popular they were at the Philadelphia shop, she decided to see if the concept would work here.  

The new Crumble location does not yet have an oven, so the baked goods will be brought from their downtown location. The crepes will be a focal point of the new shop. There will be sweet and savory options, made to order.  

Wheatley worked the soft opening and saw that this location drew in a variety of people, including many Jacobs School of Music students and people from the surrounding dentist and doctors’ offices.  

“It was really exciting,” Wheatley said. “There were a lot of regulars that I recognized from the other shops because they keep up with us and wanted to see the place.”