business & economy

Parlor Doughnuts offers unique doughnut flavors and coffee in downtown Bloomington  

cadoughnuts091322.jpg

Parlor Doughnuts, a new doughnut shop, opened a store on Kirkwood Avenue last April, just before the end of the 2021-2022 school year.  

Parlor Doughnuts offers gluten free and vegan options, along with more than 20 flavors of their famous layered doughnuts, which are made up of layers of buttery dough that is fried to be crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside, according to Parlor Doughnuts’ website. 

[Related]: Hopscotch Coffee plans to open a separate dining venue in mid-March 

Parlor Doughnuts founder Darrick Hayden used to seek out the best coffee and doughnuts while he traveled with his son Noah’s band for several years, according to Parlor Doughnuts’ website. Together, they opened Proper Coffee which turned into Evansville's Parlor Doughnuts.

General manager Darius Farmer started working at Parlor Doughnuts in Florida during the summer 2020, and has since helped open locations in Oceanside, California, and Denver, Colorado, before being offered his position to oversee everything as the Bloomington location’s general manager.  

Farmer has worked with Hayden at almost every Parlor location he’s been at. He said Hayden is a very hands-on owner. 

“He was here for an entire day before the school year started to help me organize things and lay tile and do everything from the ground up,” Farmer said. “One of his passions in Parlor is to create a space where people can feel like they can come relax. ” 

[Related]: Broomsticks Bakery offers baked goods with a touch of magic 

Since the Bloomington Parlor hasn’t been open for a year yet, and only for a few weeks with students on campus, Farmer said he has to adapt to a unique flow of business being on a college campus. 

“The patterns of this location are different from any other location I’ve worked at,” Farmer said. “For instance, yesterday was game day so we weren’t very busy until the end of the day. This Sunday has been busier than most Sunday’s because its right after game day and most people are still in town who are visiting.”  

Parlor makes fresh doughnuts in store every day. In addition to walk-in orders, Parlor does larger orders such as 30 dozen doughnuts for Varsity Club on gamedays with a noon start. 

Almost all of Parlor employees are IU students, and Farmer said about 70% of customers are IU students.  

Farmer also focuses on appointing leaders inside the shop, like sophomore barista manager Ellie McAtee. McAtee is from Evansville and remembers the opening of the original Parlor.  

“I was a huge Parlor girl,” McAtee said. “Me and my friends went and got coffee and acai bowls and doughnuts all the time there. When I saw they were opening a location in Bloomington I was like ‘Okay that’s perfect, I’ll work there.’”  

McAtee makes all types of drinks and does the ordering for drink supplies. Her drink recommendation is an iced matcha with almond milk and honey.  

IU junior Mary Jane Nolan, first- time customer, tried the Sandy Beach doughnut and said she loved it.  

“Overall, my first impression is just the scene,” Nolan said. “It’s a really cute spot, the workers are really nice, and I love the way it is set up,”   

Parlor is open from 7:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. seven days a week at 322 E Kirkwood Ave.