bloomington

Down Syndrome Family Connections hosts annual Buddy Walk Sunday at Fairgrounds

cabuddywalk092722.jpg

The Down Syndrome Family Connections will host the 15th annual Buddy Walk on Sunday, Oct. 2. at the Monroe County Fairgrounds. Registration will start at 1:30 p.m. and the walk will begin at 3:00 pm. 

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month, and the walk is held to show support. The goal this year is to raise $25,000 for the DSFC. As of Sept. 27, close to $12,000 has been raised. 

Related: [National diversity magazine recognizes IU’s work in increasing diversity on campus

The website has a registration option for the event, as well as options to donate. However, people are welcome to register in-person on Sunday. Participants have the option to register with a team of their choice or as individuals. It costs $15.45 to register which includes a T-shirt and a $0.45 cover processing fee.  

The DSFC is a community non-profit organization that hosts events to spread information and educate communities about down syndrome. There are other events they put on, as well as many opportunities to donate or volunteer to serve the community, according to their website. Many events were put on hold due to Covid-10, but this year they are hoping to have a holiday party and Cocoa Couture Fashion Show, according to Cyndi Johnson, Board President of DSFC.  

In the past year, there have been over 300,000 walks in all 50 states and select countries and $12 million has been raised to support local programs, according to their website.  

Related: [Monroe County organizations offer support, services and mentoring for children, young adults

The event will include face painting, bounce houses and a dance party. There will be a live performance by Bloomington local band, Don’t Call Me Betty.

The Buddy Walk will also reveal the 2023 annual calendar, “Beautiful Faces, Extraordinary Lives,” as well as present the models featured in the calendar. These calendars were first created in 2009 by moms who have children with down syndrome, to spread awareness. The photos are professionally taken by photographers, and the calendars have educational information about down syndrome.