arts community events jacobs school of music

Swing in September concert series to begin Sept. 2 in Dunn Meadow

entswing082222-jpg

WFIU Public Radio, in collaboration with the Department of Jazz Studies at the Jacobs School of Music, will present Swing in September, a free outdoor concert series featuring a variety of performances ranging from swing bands to jazz vocalists.  

The series will start Sept. 2 and continue every Friday through the end of the month. Performances will begin at 6:30 p.m. every Friday in Dunn Meadow and admission will be free for all attendees.  

The lineup for this concert series includes Jacobs School of Music members, including Sam Butler's Folklore Sextet on Sept. 2 and alumnus Monika Herzig performing a tribute to Joni Mitchell with Janiece Jaffe on Sept. 9. The Ana Nelson Quartet will perform on Sept. 16 and Peter Lerner’s Soulbop Quartet will perform Sept. 23. 

Related: [Bloomington PRIDE to present drag performers DiDa Ritz, Saint at annual Pridefest Aug. 27]

Rounding out the month of performances are Indianapolis natives Pinko. & A Few Good People on Sept. 30. 

WFIU hosts March Chilla, David Brent Johnson and William Morris will emcee the event. 

Audience members are encouraged to bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. In the event of uncooperative weather, the event will be moved inside to Recital Hall.