Faculty and guest speakers to hold Abortion Access Teach-In this Friday 

caabortionaccess082422.jpg

IU faculty and staff will host an Abortion Access Teach-In from noon-1:30 p.m. Friday in the Whittenberger Auditorium at the Indiana Memorial Union.   

The purpose of the event is to raise awareness and educate the IU community about the state’s zero-week abortion ban, as well as options for full reproductive healthcare access in the future. 

Related: [IU Student government to provide free emergency contraceptives]

Alongside state Sen. Shelli Yoder, D-Bloomington, who is also a senior lecturer at the Kelley School of Business, professors Jody Madeira and Beth Gazley will also be on the panel. Madeira is a professor at the Maurer School of Law, and Gazley is a professor at the O’Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs. Other panelists are from the Student Health Center, Kinsey-Kelley Center for Gender Equity in Business and the Department of Folklore & Ethnomusicology department. 

According to an IndyStar article, the abortion ban is the first of its kind to pass in a special session since the Roe v. Wade decision. Once it goes into effect on Sept. 15, the bill prohibits abortions at any point in the pregnancy except in some cases of rape, incest, fatal fetal abnormalities and the life and health of the mother. Rape and incest victims are prohibited from receiving an abortion after 10 weeks in their pregnancy . 

The article said abortions can only be performed at hospitals and ambulatory outpatient surgical centers owned by hospitals. This means no abortion can be performed at clinics such as Planned Parenthood.

Related: [Abortion ban passed by Senate, signed by governor]