Amended abortion ban advances to full house floor

caamendments080222.jpg

After passing in the Senate last week, SB 1 underwent several changes in the House Courts and Criminal Code Committee Tuesday morning. 

The first amendment removed several provisions of SB 1, eliminating the Attorney General’s jurisdiction over abortion cases if a local prosecutor would refuse to prosecute and making the limit for abortion procedures 10 weeks, regardless of age. 

The amendment also specifically states that in vitro fertilization will not be affected by abortion legislation. 

The bill removes criminal penalties for doctors, although penalties outlined in current Indiana law remain. Since the bill also expands the definition of an unlawful abortion, people who perform an abortion illegally would be charged with a Class C felony and face two to eight years in prison. 

Finally, the bill removed licensure for abortion clinics. Places like Planned Parenthood could remain open, but the bill would prevent clinics from performing abortions.

The bill was supported by Democrats, although Representative Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington said he still disagreed with much of the bill. 

The committee voted down every other amendment, and the bill advanced to the full House floor for another reading Thursday.