Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers condemn new contract for student academic appointees

<p>Students march at an Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers rally April 14, 2022, around Ballantine Hall&#x27;s courtyard. The Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers condemns new contract for student academic appointees.</p>

Students march at an Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers rally April 14, 2022, around Ballantine Hall's courtyard. The Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers condemns new contract for student academic appointees.

Changes to the fall 2022 Individual Contract for Student Academic Appointees have prompted the Indiana Graduate Workers Coalition-United Electrical Workers to declare a statement of duress, which says they were forced to sign the contract under terms they disagreed with. The organization recommends members continue to sign the contract to avoid a lapse in pay, but have asked that they also sign the statement to send to administrators. 

The new contract involves requirements that advisors “surveil and manage” graduate workers rather than mentor them, according to the IGWC-UE website. The contract also requires graduate workers to post their classes to Canvas, interfering with IGWC’s plan to move classes off of the platform as a part of their organizing efforts for the fall. 

The IGWC argues the contract is not valid because it was not fairly negotiated and is conditional for employment. It says it is not enforceable either, pointing to widespread support among faculty.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.