Four people dead, two hospitalized in shooting at Greenwood Park Mall

news filler.jpg

A gunman killed three people yesterday at Greenwood Park Mall in Greenwood, Indiana. Identified as 20-year-old Johnathon Douglas Sapirman from Greenwood, the gunman was shot and killed by an armed bystander. 

Greenwood Police Chief Jim Ison said in a news conference that two others were hospitalized, including a 12-year-old girl with minor injuries and an adult in stable condition. 

Sapirman, who had a semi-automatic rifle, another rifle, a pistol and 100 rounds of ammunition, opened fire in the mall’s food court. A 22-year-old man from Bartholomew County, who was legally carrying a firearm according to Chief Ison, shot and killed Sapirman. 

The victims of the shooting were Indianapolis residents Pedro Pineda, 56, Rosa Mirian Rivera de Pineda, 37 and Victor Gomez, 30. 

In the hours after the shooting local groups and leaders issued statements.

Greenwood Mayor Mark Myers called the person who stopped the gunman heroic in a statement on Facebook

“As of now, we do not know the shooter's identity or motive,” Myers said. “We do know that someone we are calling the ‘Good Samaritan’ was able to shoot the assailant and stop further bloodshed. This person saved lives tonight. On behalf of the City of Greenwood, I am grateful for his quick action and heroism in this situation.” 

Governor Eric Holcomb expressed grief for the victims in a tweet yesterday. 

“Lives were lost today, and I’m thinking about all the victims of this horrible incident, now and in the days and weeks to come,” he said. 

Simon Property Group, owner of Greenwood Mall, expressed grief for the tragedy and praised the actions of the man that shot the gunman. 

“We grieve for the victims of yesterday’s horrific tragedy in Greenwood,”.  the statement read. “Violence has no place in this or any other community. We are grateful for the strong response of the first responders, including the heroic actions of the Good Samaritan who stopped the suspect.,” the statement read. 

The mall is closed today, but will reopen Tuesday according to a recorded message on the answering machine.

Senator Todd Young, whose Indiana residence is located in Johnson County, where the shooting occurred, called the news “terrible.”

“Praying for the victims of a shooting at the Greenwood Park Mall,” he said. “Thank you to our law enforcement officers who responded.”

Senator Mike Braun said he was grateful for the armed man that killed the gunman in a tweet Sunday. 

"Praying for families of those killed in a senseless act of violence in Greenwood tonight, and grateful for the brave armed citizen who took action to stop the perpetrator and prevent further tragic loss of life," he said.

The Greenwood Police Department is seeking witnesses to the shooting. They ask that witnesses go to the Greenwood Police Training Center or call Johnson County Dispatch at 317-346-6336.