Will Power wins Detroit Grand Prix

spindycar060522.jpg

Team Penske’s Will Power won the Detroit Grand Prix on Sunday after starting from the 16th position. This marks the first win of the season for the 2014 NTT IndyCar Series champion. 

Sunday’s race served as redemption for Power, who was leading the first race of last year’s Detroit Grand Prix doubleheader before a red flag came out and his car did not refire. Power celebrated Sunday’s win by jumping into Belle Isle’s fountain, a tradition started by 2018 race winner Ryan Hunter-Reay. 

Following Sunday’s race, Power now leads the NTT IndyCar Series Championship with 255 points. Chip Ganassi Racing’s Marcus Ericsson, this year’s Indianapolis 500 winner, trails him by three points. Arrow McLaren SP’s Pato O’Ward rounds out the top three with 243 points.

Though he didn’t win, Andretti Autosport’s Alexander Rossi also had a notable day, charging from his starting position of eleventh to a second-place finish. 

Rossi, who recently announced a multi-year deal with Arrow McLaren SP starting next season, has continued to improve from race to race. The 2016 Indianapolis 500 winner is gaining momentum after three years with no wins. With his fifth place in the Indianapolis 500 and podium finish today, Rossi stands in seventh in the championship race with 181 points.

This is the last race the IndyCar Series will have on Belle Isle. Next year, the series will still race in Detroit but will move to the downtown streets of the city.

The drivers head to the four-mile, 14-turn Road America course next weekend in Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin at 12:30 p.m. on June 12.